Before starting Chapter 6 I did some more thread dyeing to add to those done in Chapter 4. I had ordered some dyes and white threads online which took weeks to arrive and so have added them in here.
Image 6.1 – threads dampened and dipped in Procion dyes and left in a plastic bag overnight.
Image 6.3 – the final threads. Those which had the dye powder sprinkled on them produced a more variegated, and in my opinion, attractive effect.
For Chapter 6 we were asked to select some of our designs from Chapter 2 and interpret them using cutwork i.e. using layers of fabric, adding stitched areas of textured machine stitchery, and cutting back or melting back to reveal the surface below.
Image 6.4 – design from Chapter 2
Image 6.5 – layers 1 and 2. Base layer of cotton with stitch on top. Second layer of cotton lawn, stitched and cut away.
Image 6.6 – Third layer added – cotton muslin, stitched and cut away.
Image 6.7 – the final piece compared to Chapter 2 design. I think the directional stitching worked quite well on this piece to represent the flow of the shapes in the paper sample. However, in retrospect, I see it needed more white pieces as a top layer to give the disjointed appearance of the paper sample.
Image 6.8 – digital design from chapter 2
Image 6.9 – base of dyed muslin painted with white gesso and machine stitched in circles.
Image 6.10 – layer of Shibori dyed cotton added, stitched in circles and cut away
Image 6.11 – layer of synthetic Organza added, stitched in circles with cotton (non-melting) thread.
Image 6.12 – top layer melted with a heat gun
Image 6.13 – the heat gun had a transformative effect on the sample. Not only did it melt the top layer, but it also caused the acrylic gesso on the base layer to pucker, creating a wonderfully irregular surface. When viewed in image 6.13 I think it gives a strong impression of a stormy sea with frothy waves.
Image 6.14 – the final piece compared to Chapter 2 design. I was very pleased with this sample. the various colours in the fabric layers represented the blues in the digital sample well, and the molten fabric and stitch created strong circular shapes. The bumpy texture added to the effect by creating areas of light and shade.
Image 6.15 – digital sample from Chapter2
Image 6.16 – Calico base stitched with zigzag pattern.
Image 6.17 – layer of cotton – cut away; then a layer of synthetic fabric cut and melted at the edges. I really disliked this sample at this stage and was thinking of abandoning it!
Image 6.18 – two layers of synthetic organza stitched and melted away. The top two layers rescued this sample in my opinion. They softened the harsh edges of the shapes underneath and created a fluidity to the piece.
Image 6.19 – the final piece compared to Chapter 2 design. I was pleased with the shapes, colours and textures in this piece. I think the finger-like shapes in the design are clear and the range of background colours and shapes has worked well. The molten top layers have given height to the piece where they curled up around the stitched curves. I think this piece also has a strong ocean-like appearance; like the froth of the tide on a beach.
Image 6.20 – paper sample from Chapter 2
Image 6.22 – muslin layer cut away
Image 6.23 – top layer of white linen cut, frayed and stitched in swirling lines using blue machine thread.
Image 6.24 – the final piece compared to Chapter 2 design. I think the variety of colours are well represented in this sample, and the frayed threads work well as the printed white lines on the paper version.
Image 6.25 – digital sample from Chapter 2
Image 6.28 – further vertical and horizontal stitch lines added to accentuate the shapes.
Image 6.29 – the final piece compared to Chapter 2 design. I am very pleased with the way that this sample has worked to represent the shades of the blue colours and the white geometric shapes on top.
Image 6.30 – digital sample from Chapter 2
Image 6.32 – layer of linen printed with gesso added, stitched and cut away.
Image 6.33 – cotton lawn stitched with lines of zigzag, cut away.
Image 6.34 – layer of silk added and cut away.
Image 6.35 – final sample compared to Chapter 2 design. I think the size and variety of colours works quite well in this piece and the top layer of blue stripes (see image 6.30 above) represent the digital design quite well. A greater contrast in the shades of blue would have improved this sample.